Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Live and learn...apples are not banana's

Inspiration struck tonight as I looked at the week old apples in the fruit bowl. The large green apple looked delicious but was starting to get a little soft and no one wants to eat a slightly soft apple now do they? So I peeled, cored, and diced it up and poored the last 1/2 cup of oatmeal on it and doll'd it up with some cinnamon sugar and let it soak in. Sounds tasty doesn't it? I just made some fantastic banana muffins out of the BLACK banana's that were in the fruit bowl too last week and they didn't last but a few hours because over ripe banana's are perfect muffin makers!

So tonight, I thought I'd see how well the apple muffins would go over with the fam. I am baking them up with hopes that the kids will eat muffins instead of cereal bowl after cereal bowl tomorrow. So baking up the o' so sweet smelling goodness of apples and cinnamon the house smelled like Fall. Just add some crunching leaves under your feet as you sip some hot apple cider. Mmm mmm sign me up!

So the apple muffins were baking away and the batter seemed SO thick I could probably serve it to the muffin tins with a knife. I filled it nearly full and as they came out of the oven they didn't rise at all, and looked like a dead cupcake. They smelled nice, don't get me wrong. But they looked like melted pancakes in paper wrappers. :(

So I break one open and taste. Not bad but now I know why banana's should not be subsituted with apples, I should have probably looked up an actual apple muffin recipe instead of using a banana muffin recipe and just added apples. Ah well...live and learn.

Now accepting applications for fantastic apple muffins...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You can use a zucchini bread recipe and sub apples and it turns out great! I use a cheese grater and grate the apples into the batter rather that dice the apples. :)