Thursday, October 21, 2010

Cider and donuts...a few days later

So we went to the cider mill on Sunday and now it's Thursday.  We stopped by http://www.franklincidermill.com/ for a quick taste.  Back on Sunday a beautiful crisp fall day with the sun shining and the bees swarming and the smell of fresh apples filled the air.   Ah yes, it was the perfect day.  My family found a parking spot in the tiny lot, eventually; and waited in line patiently for the goodies.  Making a $14 purchase of just 1/2 gallon of cider and a dozen donuts we cursed at the prices but nonetheless were happy.  Through the heavy crowds of other cider buying flocks, we found a small place to sit at the mill while we brushed the bees away and watched the mill spin as the sounds of lapping water rolled over and over and over. 

My family of 5 each had one or two donuts and we headed home with minimal leftovers.  I set the 4 or 5 donuts that were leftover under the glass dome to help preserve the goodness of the donuts and waited.

Today being Thursday, I saw two donuts sat staring at me from inside their fish bowl glass dome.  They were still soft, but a little bit too soft.  The condensation of the warm donuts under the glass dome made it a little sweaty in there and now it was already several days later.  I was disappointed, these were some seriously tastey donuts and they were now a smidge soggy and on the verge of going stale.  A thought hit me, I wonder how these would taste if I put one in the toaster.

Now, I was a little scared, but what harm would it cause?   The worst case scenario would be that it gets stuck in the toaster, flames ignite the entire box and sets fire to the kitchen and I would promptly find a fire extinguisher and put it out.   So... eh, I'll take the risk.

I slide it in, on the lowest setting wait and watch the hot wires sizzle.   Don't worry, there was no worst case scenario burning away.  No smoke, just a quiet toasting of donut.

The toaster pops and with a little help I free the donut from the iron claw of the toaster and must say...

I HIGHLY recommend this.  It made it taste like I just bought it at the cider mill.  Warm, a little crunchy on the outside soft on the inside and oh so yummy.

p.s.  Don't use the sugar/cinnamon ones because I can for-see worst case scenario coming for you.

Now you can enjoy warm donuts from the cider mill again at home!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love this idea!! Maybe you can do the cinnamon sugar ones in the toaster oven!!